Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> flying UL kites
Doc
post May 16 2011, 04:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,201

just a general question: when flying UL kites, are the inputs for trick the same intensity as when flying in higher winds? my tricks are not as clean with the UL, any suggestions.

thanks

doc cool.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doc
post Jun 30 2011, 06:19 AM
Post #2

QUOTE (Doc @ May 16 2011, 07:38 AM) *
just a general question: when flying UL kites, are the inputs for trick the same intensity as when flying in higher winds? my tricks are not as clean with the UL, any suggestions.

thanks

doc cool.gif

i have been meaning to write this note for some time now and being a day of no wind i will respond with my "revalations" on flying light wind kites.

after looking (more carefully) through the forum, i had found a post on flying light wind kites (in the "how to" section). it described the same experiences i was having. i read and re-read that post 25 times (or more) and there was several things i finally "grasped the concept on, finesse and patients".

well i took some of the thoughts and my UL's out and tried to apply the theroies brought forth in the post. i practiced and practiced and finally it started to come, instead of a " pop or hard pull", i used a (as scott called it) "a plink" (finesse). i also just held the handles in my fingertips, not in my hands. the things i was attemting were finally working. but i had days where things were not going as i had wanted and i was mighty fustrated. with the winds as they were i had no choice but to fly the UL (r-sky team next up). i was really having a what i thought as a slump in my flying!

yesterday after a week being off with the family, i had the time to go out and fly. the winds were (when i left for the field) very light. i went to the bag and picked up my UL and at the last minute, my NFX (just in case!!). i walk the 2 miles to my field and go to set up and to my dumbfoundness, i had picked up the nirvarna standard by mistake. after a few choice words on my stupidity and the realization i had no choice but to flying "what i had", i set up with the standard (it flies very well in lighter wind) and much to my surprise, the tricks are flying with no effort!! everything i know and every trick i am now trying to learn were "happening"!! effortlessly!!!! wow a big smile is on my face!!! after about an hour i decide to hook up the NFX (it doesnt like the lower wind speeds as much as the standard), what the heck, why not!!! that kite starts performing for me!!! then the winds come up and i am able to do all the moves i know!!! i thought i was randy greenway, or dpmama, or no wait, richard debray!!!!!!!! for a fleeting moment anyway!!

the final line of the post said (and i am paraphrsing) "one thing i can assure you is (by flying the UL) your skills as a pilot are going to be twice what they were!!! HOW TRUE!!!!

now i look forward to those "light wind days" so i can sharpen my skill by practicing my finesse and patience with the UL kite, knowing the days of better winds are not far away!!

if you are having problems with the UL go back and study the post (in the "how to" section, it's old) on light wind kites. i am sure you will be glad you did......i am!!!!!!

thanks teresa, scott, and the kite shoppe!!!

doc

+Quote Post
Doc
post Jul 13 2011, 05:34 AM
Post #3

another recent revalation...pair the right line weight for the kite. i recently added 50#/120' LPG lines to my next up ul, makes a world of difference. i viewed the tutourial by john baresi on line weight and length (resource tab/tutourials/john baresi), although for quads, i find the therories are the same for duals. worth the look....it made a difference for me, especially in very light wind conditions.

+Quote Post
Theresa
post Jul 19 2011, 12:05 AM
Post #4

Veteran Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 327

Hey there!

Glad you are seeing some results! Very satisfying, isn't it smile.gif

JB is working on some more tutorials to add to Learnkites.com. Festivals and road trips keep getting in the way! LOL!
So the process is slow...but worth the wait.

Have fun experimenting Warren! smile.gif

T

+Quote Post
Doc
post Jul 19 2011, 07:29 PM
Post #5

thanks to the kite shoppe (tutorials, forum and it's members, and the personal attention given by the staff) the experimentation is both rewarding and fun. i am here, one of only one (hoping to attract some fellow enthuist) learning on my own. the way i learn is through the tutorials, the forum and the expert advice given from the kite shoppe. when i tied up the 50# line to the LW and did my first LW yo-yo's (did a lot of them), it was fun, rewarding, along with a.....what did i just do!!!!!!!!! i had quite a few "spectators" watching those yo-yo's that saturday morning. every day i go out flying (almost every day).....there is nothing but fun!! even on those not so good days! every day gets a little better then the day before! can't wait for tomorrow!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 07:41 PM